From Revolutions to Reform
There are moments now, usually in the quieter hours, when I find myself looking back at the young man I once was—the activist, the one whose blood moved more quickly at the sight of injustice, whose language was sharper, whose certainties were cleaner, whose sense of history and struggle felt immediate, almost bodily—and I ask him, with a tenderness I could not have afforded him then: What became of your idealism?
It is not a question I ask with mockery. It is not asked from the safe distance of betrayal, nor from the smugness of someone who has outgrown conviction and now mistakes fatigue for wisdom. I ask it because I have spent almost twenty years inside government, long enough to see institutions from within their walls rather than from the outside of their gates, long enough to know the smell of old paper and procedural delay, long enough to sit through meetings where language performs what action never intends to fulfill, long enough to watch how power arranges itself into habits, loyalties, fears, and permissions. Long enough, in other words, to know that if idealism survives such a place, it does not survive unchanged.
In my younger years, the world felt morally legible in a way that now seems both beautiful and incomplete. There was structure to indignation. There was a grammar to resistance. We spoke of the people, of imperialism, of class power, of historical injustice, of the moral burden of choosing where one stands. We believed, and I do not say this lightly, that one’s life ought to answer to something larger than one’s own comfort.
We were animated by the conviction that the world, as arranged, was neither natural nor innocent; that systems had authors; that suffering had causes; that neutrality was often only another name for complicity. There was a fire in that way of seeing, and though time has chastened many things in me, I do not look back on that fire with embarrassment. It was not a costume. It was not borrowed rage. It was a form of moral seriousness.
But history does not only test convictions in the streets and in far-flung areas. Sometimes it tests them in offices. Sometimes it tests them in the fluorescent quiet of bureaucracy, where urgency gets folded into routing slips, where public language and private motives coexist uneasily, where institutions meant to serve the common good are made porous by ego, patronage, habit, fear, mediocrity, and the thousand smaller surrenders that never make headlines but accumulate into culture.
The state, from within, is not always the monster of slogans, though neither is it innocent. More often, it is something messier and therefore more difficult: it is a living arrangement of sincere and compromised people, of lawful procedures and distorted incentives, of genuine service and theatrical compliance, of hardworking staff and leaders unworthy of the burdens of their office. It is a place where public purpose can still flicker, but often under the heavy weather of vanity, weakness, and institutional fatigue.
I did not know, when I first entered government, that one could become so acquainted with disappointment without ever fully surrendering to it. I did not know how often reform would be slowed not only by grand corruption or structural injustice, but by smaller and more ordinary forms of failure: weak thinking, intellectual laziness, image management, clique behavior, bureaucratic caution, patronage disguised as administrative judgment, leaders who mistake noise for direction, and offices that grow so used to patchwork that rigor begins to seem almost impolite.
I did not know how much of public life is degraded not only by those who plunder, but by those who merely coast; not only by villains, but by the tolerated incompetence of people who carry titles larger than their discipline, their courage, or their mind.
Years inside such a world can do many things to a person. They can harden him. They can exhaust him into irony. They can make him practical in the worst sense—less truthful, less vulnerable to disappointment, less expectant of anything genuinely sound. They can train him to lower his standards in order to preserve his energy, to stop caring too much because caring becomes expensive, to treat mediocrity as weather rather than as a condition that ought still to trouble the conscience.
I have felt all those temptations.
But something in me, though bruised, resisted.
Not always heroically. Not always cleanly. Often with fatigue, and at times with anger. But it resisted.
And as I look back now, I think I understand what happened. My idealism did not vanish. It migrated. It moved from speech into habit, from slogan into standard, from the theater of protest into the quieter, lonelier discipline of workmanship. It changed its clothes. It lost some of its youthful cadence and took on the slower grammar of structure, craft, and institutional seriousness. It stopped living primarily in declaration and began living, almost stubbornly, in the way I approached work.
That may sound too ordinary a fate for something once lit by struggle. But I have come to think otherwise.
Because what is work ethic, at its deepest, if not conviction that has learned endurance? What is rigor, if not idealism that has agreed to survive contact with detail? What is the insistence on planning properly, monitoring honestly, building systems carefully, writing clearly, designing with integrity, and refusing shortcuts, if not a moral refusal to let public work become shallow simply because completely shitty work (csw) is common?
I began to see, though only gradually, that in a compromised environment, to do one’s work seriously is not a small thing. To think well in a careless culture is not a small thing. To insist that a plan mean something, that a budget align with purpose, that a framework hold, that outputs not be decorative, that public value remain more than a phrase in a presentation deck—these are not merely technical preferences. They are ethical acts. They are quieter than protest, yes. Less visible, certainly. But not less principled.
Somewhere along the way, my old activism was translated into the discipline of refusing sloppiness and an utter disgust for so-called leaders who shout at people but cower to those who hold titles bigger than theirs.
If I could not transform the whole institution, I could still refuse to contribute to what was false within it. If I could not correct every distortion of power, I could still keep faith with substance. If I could not uproot patronage, vanity, or incompetence by force of will, I could still build sound processes, write honest assessments, form strong teams, improve planning, strengthen monitoring, and create spaces where seriousness had a chance, however modest, to breathe. I could still work as though the public nature of the work mattered. And perhaps that was the quiet adult form my idealism was forced to take.
I say “forced,” because this was not a romantic transformation. It was not graceful. It came with bruises.
Government has wearied me.
It has wearied me not because I ceased to believe in public service, but because I have seen too many ways public service is hollowed out from within. I have seen institutions consume the labor of serious people while rewarding the connected, the image-conscious, the politically protected, and the merely survivable. I have seen how much institutional energy is wasted compensating for those who should have been able to think, lead, decide, and steward at a higher level than they do. I have seen how the language of service can be made to coexist with insecurity, ego, intimidation, superficiality, and an almost casual tolerance for weak leadership. I have seen how offices can invoke the public while being governed by fear, vanity, and internal theatrics. I have seen how good people become tired, and how tired people sometimes begin to mistake adaptation for wisdom.
The danger in all this, of course, is cynicism.
Cynicism is always nearby when one has seen enough. It presents itself as maturity. It says: You understand now. Nothing changes. People are people. Institutions are broken. Keep your expectations low and your heart protected. There is a seduction in that voice, especially for those who have labored hard and watched lesser people rise through sponsored pathways, louder people dominate through force of personality, and serious work be taken for granted by those least capable of producing it.
But I have never been fully able to give myself to cynicism, because something in me still experiences it as a form of surrender.
Not surrender to reality, but surrender of moral imagination.
Cynicism is not the same as lucidity. It may see some truths, but it grows careless with the rest. It protects the self by lowering the stakes of everything. It says: Do not care so much. Do not expect integrity. Do not burden yourself with seriousness when the world has already chosen convenience. But if I were to yield to that voice entirely, I would not merely become disappointed. I would become diminished.
And perhaps that is what I have been resisting all these years—not only institutional failure, but inner diminishment.
I did not want years in government to empty out the original dignity of my convictions. I did not want exposure to weak leadership, patronage, incompetence, and bureaucratic theater to turn me into someone who no longer believed that work should be honest, that institutions should be serious, that the public deserves more than performance and excuses. I did not want my idealism to end in sarcasm.
So it changed instead.
It lost innocence, but it kept its center.
It lost some of its heat, but gained duration.
It became less declarative and more exacting.
Less dramatic and more disciplined.
Less interested in rhetorical purity and more invested in coherence, design, and follow-through.
Maybe that is what age, labor, and disappointment together can produce when they do not wholly destroy a person: not the death of idealism, but its tempering.
The fire does not disappear. It learns containment. The kind of containment where burning plunderers happen in dreams.
That fire.
It stops needing applause.
It stops introducing itself loudly.
It appears instead in standards, in habits, in the refusal to do careless work, in the insistence that substance still matters even when systems reward display, in the decision to keep building something sound in places that often normalize what is unsound.
And if I am honest, there is something distinctly Filipino in the way I have come to understand this. Not simply in the language of nationalism or movement politics, but in older moral textures: loob, dangal, malasakit, paninindigan. The interior life matters. Honor matters. Care matters. One’s stance matters. Public work, at its best, ought not to be merely procedural; it ought to carry a moral center. The tragedy, perhaps, is how often institutions sever process from conscience, title from substance, and authority from stewardship. But the task, for those still unwilling to surrender, is to keep stitching them back together where one can.
That, I think now, is what my work ethic really has been.
Not just discipline.
Not just professionalism.
Not just a personality trait.
It has been the form my conscience took when it entered the bureaucracy and refused, despite everything, to lie down completely.
So when I ask what became of my idealism, I no longer hear the question as accusation. I hear it as inquiry into continuity.
I am not the same young man. I should not be. He knew many necessary truths, but not yet all the costs of carrying them through institutions. He knew how to oppose. He knew how to name power. He knew how to believe. But he did not yet know what it would mean to labor within systems year after year, to experience attrition, to discover that some of the hardest battles are against mediocrity, vanity, patronage, and fatigue rather than against a single clearly named monolithic enemy.
I know those things now.
And perhaps what I have become is not a betrayal of him, but his harder continuation.
I am what happens when conviction survives bureaucracy.
When critique learns process.
When outrage learns design.
When moral fire is forced to choose between burnout, bitterness, and disciplined endurance.
I have not remained untouched.
I have not remained pure.
I have not remained whole in the simple way youth imagines wholeness.
But neither have I crossed over to the other side.
I still cannot call dysfunction normal.
I still cannot treat public work as mere career theater.
I still cannot respect authority that is empty of thought, seriousness, or stewardship.
I still cannot make peace with shallow work in a system already too full of it.
If anything, the years have made these refusals quieter, sadder, and more exacting.
Maybe that is what became of my idealism.
It became standards.
It became craft.
It became rigor with conscience.
It became the discipline of still trying to make something sound where too much has been left unsound for too long.
And perhaps that is the truth I need most to keep close now, especially in a season when I am asking larger questions about the shape of my life.
I did not betray my idealism by entering government.
I have been trying, imperfectly and at great cost, to give it form.
And perhaps that, too, is a kind of struggle—less visible than the ones that first formed me, less dramatic than the old languages of movement, but no less real for being quiet.
It is the struggle to remain serious in unserious places.
To remain ethical in compromised arrangements.
To remain exacting without becoming cruel.
To remain committed to public value when public institutions themselves often forget the public in everything but name.
If I have any pride left in the person I have become, it is not that I remained unchanged.
It is that I changed without fully surrendering what was most worth carrying forward. Hindi tayo perpekto pero hindi tayo nagpapakain sa sistema.
That is not a small thing.
Comments